Sunday, September 9, 2012

I [HAD TO] QUIT... -_-

Yes. I resigned from our student publication.

To summarize the content of my resignation letter: I quit because nowadays I'm not doing well with my journalistic writing, my academics, my relationships with other people (including my family), and other areas of my life, as well as keeping my health well. I'm quitting because I don't think that I'm doing well in my duties as a campus journalist and as a student. I quit because I've failed the publication more than once in small, but important matters (that could have led to bigger, more critical problems). I give up because I think that I can no longer give my best for the publication.

Resigning from an editorial board position and from the publication altogether... Just one of the rare instances where I just outright give up. And I am not attributing to other people the reasons why I am giving up. I am quitting because of me. (And I mean this in a productive, positive manner of self-criticism)

I have to quit in order to get myself some time for self-recovery, self-redemption, self-rebuilding, or whatever  this process is called. I have to quit because I need to quit for my own good and for the good of the student publication I've served.

But it does not mean that I'll just forget everything I've been through with the publication. Until this instance of my resignation, I've stayed in it for more than two and a half years. I've been through good things and bad things, but my experiences in this publication have tempered me to become an improved person with a sense of humanity.

I owe a lot to the student publication I've served. It was because of the student publication that I knew myself better. I made new friends, reconnected with old ones, and even expanded further my social consciousness and critical perspective through the various gatherings and competitions I've attended with the publication staff. It was because of the publication that I practiced my writing, seeking ways to improve my literary style. I even earned my first award in campus journalistic writing because I was part of it. And for many other good things that I have difficulty recalling,  I am very much grateful for the publication.

However, I admit that I never wanted to be a journalist in the first place due to its rigid conventions. It was poetry that stimulated my writing. And for a long time, I have been out of touch with that literary craft. I need time and space to breathe, to roam, to ponder, to grow. And that, based from my own experience, is something I cannot gain from being contained within the walls and corners of a student publication office.

Yes, I quit being in the student publication, but it does not mean that I will quit writing. I just needed a paradigm shift, a change of pathway... Even if it means saying "goodbye to the yellow brick road"...

Wait a minute, that kind of reminds me of an Elton John classic...

No comments:

Post a Comment