Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Ordinary Tuesday


First, a word from Lourd de Veyra…
Today is Tuesday.
It seems to be an ordinary day for me, even if my eyes assimilate all sorts of red things like hearts and roses; even if my ears take in the sound of mushy and padugo love songs; even if my mouth is masticating chocolate.
I do not celebrate Valentines Day. I do not like its commercialized nature, timely hype and hedonistic approach on love. I’d rather spend my Php 150.00 for a good book or a cheeseburger with drink than for a bunch of roses or chocolate. I can get to enjoy it myself or share it with a friend. Also, why celebrate love on V-Day only? A text message from a good friend has something to say of this: “B*tch please! When there are 364 days in a year, why express love on Valentines Day only?” Another thing I detest about Valentines Day is that love becomes concretized by fireworks and earthquakes, if you know what I mean (read: putukan at alugan).
If I had it my way (and there were to be any celebrations), I would only commemorate the martyrdom of some early Christian bishop who offered up his life in defiance of some megalomaniac Roman emperor who wanted to disrupt the institution of marriage. Valentines Day used to be [St.] Valentine’s Feast Day after all.
But if society really wants me to conform, then fine. I’ll just chomp down on a chocolate heart and call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment