Wednesday, February 13, 2013

21 FOR 21 ON 21: Wish #9


WISH #9: BECOME AN IRON CHEF. (OR HAVE A PHILIPPINE EDITION OF IRON CHEF).

WHOSE CUISINE WILL REIGN SUPREME?

When someone asks what the oldest profession is (it's not what you think it is, you naughty-minded blokes), cooking is way older. (Besides, daw waay pa man prostitution sang hunters and gatherers pa lang ang mga tawo?)

I've been watching cooking shows since I was four and I used to play "luto-luto" as a kid. I even remember playing with my older brother and pretend that we have a halo-halo stall (it was actually a box for keeping my toys). Of course, our make-believe halo-halo is actually a cup filled with Duplo blocks (they look like Legos, but only bigger and less likely to choke a toddler).

But, it was this cooking competition show from Japan (and imported by Food Network) that totally converted me into a foodie. The theatrics and dramatic production are awesome, but what drew me to the show most of all is the elevation of cooking from everyday drudgery to high art. And the culinary arts became a spectator sport. Because of this show (and its incarnations in other countries), a new perspective shone upon chefs, that the craft they practice is not just work, but an art and science requiring great creativity and knowledge. Chefs and cooks should be revered and treated with esteem.

And so, I too learned to cook, as a hobby like writing or drawing. Now, it's just instant noodles, eggs, hot dogs, de lata, and tig-ang that I'm good at. I've graduated from those. I can make soup, bake, stir-fry, deep-fry, and more. It's a pity that at the time when my interest in Iron Chef grew, the show already ended its original run way long ago (back in 1998 or 1999). But I never stopped learning to cook and love food, because food cannot be erased from human identity and culture. (And I did not, do not, and will not hesitate to learn to cook despite my cerebral palsy.)

If there are some things I learned from Iron Chef, I learned about the importance of perseverance, that one should not give up when there are people (especially challengers) who are attempting to pull him or her down (like every Iron Chef's predicament). I learned of rising back up when toppled down, because Iron Chefs do not always win. I learned also of the importance of learning and passion in whatever pursuit, because Iron Chefs respect tradition while looking for progress.

And I also learned the importance of making do with what you have.
Can you improvise a dessert kon amu 'ni theme ingredient mo?

Sure, there is Iron Chef America, Iron Chef UK, Iron Chef Thailand, Iron Chef Vietnam, but nothing can ever compare to the original.

\
Ti, san-o pa yah magka-Iron Chef Philippines?
Filipino cuisine is just as diverse, you know.

And they recently "renovated" the Japanese version.
It's a pity that they replaced "Allez Cuisine" with "Good Gastronomy"!
Their original announcer and that quick-talking floor reporter too. ("Fukui-san?")
And, NO MORE BELL PEPPER CHOMPING!!! WHY?!!! 

Earth calling to Philippine TV execs! IF YOU WANT TO RAKE IN RATINGS, BUY THE FRANCHISE OF THIS SHOW FROM FUJI TV! AND DON'T SCREW IT UP! (Tani, GMA7 lang. Kapuso ko daan. Hehe!)

And make sure you get this guy as Chairman!

* * * * *

Oh well. 7 more days to go before 21. Good luck, godspeed, God bless!

...and ALLEZ CUISINE!

No comments:

Post a Comment